Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Monday Blues


It was cloudy and looked like rain yesterday. I ran around and did errands and heard the song "Manic Monday" and wondered how many songs are about Mondays? I found a list this morning and there are quite a few more than I can name. I thought of three - "Manic Monday", "Rainy Days and Mondays", and "Monday, Monday". I looked up Song Titles with "Monday" in them and found a list of 16 - including one that is called "All my friends are coming over for Monday night football". I am not into football, but found this song title amusing.

The thought crossed my mind, as I listened to "Manic Monday" on the radio, why did I choose Monday for a job interview? I should have seen that as a possible omen, but I spent the day relaxing and arrived at the interview early.
The interview went okay I guess. Very strange place, the reception desk was in the back of the office area. I got there early - at 5 and my interview wasn't scheduled until 6. I went to Ralph's and bought a copy of “Threads”, a great sewing magazine, parked and walked to the interview. I got there at around 5:30 - not too bad. I didn't get in to see the interviewer until 6:40! There were 15 - 20 people in the small reception area and nearby hallway. Someone made the mistake of having interviews on the same day as a tutor orientation.


The reception area was cramped and crowded. While I was waiting, one of the other candidates asked what job each of us was interviewing for. One gentleman refused to say, but the lady I was sitting next to and the man who asked the question are interviewing for the same job.

The interview went ok - the first question she asked was "Tell me about yourself". How hard is that? My first response was "Like what?" I asked how many people they were interviewing for the position and she said between 25 - 40 people. I was nervous and not tongue-tied necessarily but I had lots of pauses and “ums” and “ahs”. I interrupted her a few times as she was looking over the questions – felt like I made all the classic interview errors. Ah well, it is over and now I play the waiting game. She said they will call for second interviews in a few days to a week.

I have another interview for a different position later this week. That should go much more smoothly - practice makes perfect!

Maureen

1 comment:

Kathryn said...

Maureen! Yeah for you setting up a blog. Now, let's see some pics of those beautiful quilts!!!

xoxox